I’m laundering, dusting, straightening, vacuuming, everything, the whole house today, when inspiration strikes. The majority of the knotted rag rug tutorials I’ve seen require some kind of grid to knot the scraps to. I’ve seen the braided rag rugs that … Continue reading
This was one of the first t-shirt upcycles I ever did. My hubby found this shirt men’s 3XL t-shirt for me on the clearance rack at Target for $3 a couple years ago. I was at my heaviest, 180 lbs. and … Continue reading
Do you follow Refashion Co-op? Well, you should. They post all kinds of awesome refashions, or upcycles, as I like to call them. Yesterday, this gem of a no-sew was in my Bloglovin’ feed. I’m not all Tumblr savvy, but that’s where … Continue reading
My younger daughter’s bed has been used as extra blanket and stuffed animal storage for a long time. She normally sleeps with us or with one of her siblings or on the couch. I knew I had to do something about the stuffed animals if I ever wanted her to sleep in her own bed. The kids’ rooms are in the basement and the spiders love to hide in the mountain of blankets and stuffed animals. I don’t blame her for not wanting to sleep in her own bed.
This might be my most favorite thing I’ve ever sewn. I found this great tutorial from Googie Momma and used the pattern from Thread Riding Hood. So much awesomeness! My printer is out of ink, so I just got the sizing correct on my computer screen with the zoom, held pieces of white computer paper over the screen and traced.
I used a soft flannel that I got from my Mom’s stash and a Care Bear print fleece that I found at Wal-Mart in their remnant bin. I used soft velcro instead of a zipper because that’s what I had. I almost used a smaller zipper that I had salvaged from a dress, but realized that I might not be able to fit the larger stuffed animals through the smaller hole. This is the large version. We still have three large totes full of stuffed animals. As we stuffed, I was also thinking that you could stuff one with extra blankets. Looks like I’ll be making another one or two. I do have three kids, so I can’t have anyone feeling left out.
I’ve seen this idea a couple times on Pinterest. I reorganized my sewing area and had a basket left that matched my bathroom perfectly. I had a hard time figuring out how to hang the basket. Finally, I found several ribbons that I’d been saving for who knows what that I used to hang the basket. There is a nail at the top and another nail right under the top edge of the basket to hold it against the wall. I also used a couple tacks to add extra support. Then I just hung one wash rag on the handle of the basket and rolled up several other wash rags to store in the basket. I love it!
I made this from two stretchy tank tops and a beach dress, all from Victoria’s Secret, all bra tops. The beach dress fit but was too small up top. I cut the skirt off the beach dress. It originally had some gathers in the front, so I had to put those in again for the side seams to match with the tank tops’ side seams.
I had already cut the bottom 1/3 off of the tank tops to use as modesty panels under tank tops and dresses. I originally left the turquoise blue tank top as is and just sewed a band of the darker blue to the bottom of the turquoise, then, sewed the skirt onto the dark blue. I didn’t like the top or the bottom. I don’t have a picture of that dress, which is a good indication of how much I didn’t like it.
I’ve been visualizing how I wanted the dress to look over the last month. I wanted the bottom and the top to be asymmetrical, with a tie to provide support and contrast. I cut the bottom of the skirt at an angle all the way across. The tank top, I cut at an angle until I got to the middle front and back. Then, I cut closer to the original tank top edging, so I would still have the original point on the front and back where the strap connects.
I cut close to the original skirt hem all the way around and then cut off one of the original side seams so I would have one long piece of the black. I sewed the long piece along the top from the point of the front strap to the point of the back strap, like you would bias tape, with the right sides together. Then, I sandwiched it up, not over and did two parallel (or as parallel as I could get) lines of stitches to hold the black fabric up. I was worried that I might have some waffling on the top, but I concentrated on letting my machine pull the fabric through and not stretching it and that kept the top from getting stretched out. I also pinned the bejesus out of it!
At the end of the back point, I cut the remainder of the black fabric off to use for the arm hole that was left. I folded the remaining black fabric in half, and put the midway point on the side seam and sewed from one point to the other, using the same parallel lines of stitching.
I really like the way it turned out. I love the colors together and I already had jewelry to match. There is no better feeling than taking three things that you weren’t wearing and making something new, that you love.